Total Time: 15 mins
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced (red or white onion can be substituted)
- 2 teaspoons light pancake syrup, (optional)
- 4 slices of your bread of choice, (sourdough, French, whole grain, or even a white or wheat flour tortilla)
- 3 ounces extra lean ham, thinly sliced (honey ham, maple, or other flavor)
- 2 tablespoons whipped light cream cheese, (light cream cheese can be substituted)
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded, firmly packed
- Step 1
- Add olive oil to medium nonstick frying pan and begin to heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté, stirring often, until onion is nicely browned and caramelized (about 4 minutes). Drizzle pancake syrup (if desired) over the top and stir into the onions. Set aside to cool.
- Step 2
- Toast bread slices if desired. Top two of the slices with the ham slices and spread the caramelized onions over the ham. Then spread a tablespoon of the cream cheese over the remaining two slices. Sprinkle shredded Gruyere cheese evenly over the top of the cream cheese.
- Step 3
- Place all four slices in toaster oven or regular oven and broil, watching carefully, until the Gruyere cheese starts to bubble (about 3-4 minutes). Place the slices with the cheese over the slices with the ham and onions. Cut each sandwich on the diagonal and serve.
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.