Blackberry Spinach Salad
Journal as: 1 cup side salad + 1/2 ounce regular cheese + 1/2 tablespoon nuts.
This salad has so much flavor that the only dressing you'll need is a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
4 cups baby spinach, rinsed and dried (comes in packages this way), packed measure
2 cups fresh blackberries (thawed blackberries can also be used)
2 ounces crumbled goat cheese (or reduced-fat or regular feta cheese)
2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved (chopped ripe tomatoes can be substituted)
1 large or 2 small green onions, sliced
3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts or walnut pieces
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (add more to taste)
- Add spinach, blackberries, cheese, cherry tomatoes, green onion, and walnuts to a large serving bowl. Toss to blend well.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve into 4 salad bowls.
Makes 4 servings
Per serving: 167 calories, 7 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat (3.2 g saturated fat, 1.6 g monounsaturated fat, 1.8 g polyunsaturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 129 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 37%.
Mango Papaya Salsa
Journal as: 1 piece of fruit.
This is a wonderful tropical salsa that goes well with chicken or fish. It even tastes great served on reduced-fat tortilla chips.
1 mango, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 papaya, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
1/2 cup sweet onion, peeled and finely diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, gently toss mango, papaya, and red bell pepper, avocado, sweet onion, cilantro, and balsamic vinegar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve (it works well to chill for at least 30 minutes).
- Serve with broiled or grilled fish or chicken breast (skinless) or reduced-fat tortilla chips.
Makes 8 servings
Per serving: 84 calories, 1 g protein, 12.6 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat (0.7 g saturated fat, 2.5 g monounsaturated fat, 0.5 g polyunsaturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 5 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 40%.