Healthy Breakfast Recipes continued...
1/2 cup granulated sugar (add 1/4 cup more sugar or Splenda if you prefer it sweeter)
1 large egg, room temperature (use a higher omega-3 brand, if available)
1/4 cup egg substitute or 2 egg whites
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon powdered sugar for dusting the tops (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside. Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. Make sure you have 2/3 cup of puree.
- In small bowl, combine 2/3 cup strawberry puree with low-fat milk, vanilla extract, strawberry extract and red food coloring (if desired); set aside.
- In bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream margarine and sugar on medium-high speed until combined and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium-low and add the egg and egg substitute or egg white, beating just until blended. Scrape the side and bottom of bowl well halfway through.
- With mixer turned off, in medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, and salt; then add half of the flour mixture to the mixing bowl with margarine mixture, beating just until blended. Pour in the strawberry mixture and beat on LOW just until blended, scraping sides of bowl with spatula midway. Add in the remaining flour mixture, beating just until blended and scraping down sides of the bowl.
- Add 1/4-cup of muffin batter to each prepared muffin cup. Bake until tops are just dry to the touch (about 22 minutes). Let cool completely in tin before dusting with powdered sugar, if desired.
Yield: Makes 11 muffins (5.5 servings of 2 muffins each)
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 2 pieces "pancake, waffle, French toast" + 2 teaspoons sugar/honey OR 1 small muffin + 1/2 cup "unsweetened canned fruit in juice or unsweetened pureed fruit"
Nutrition Information per 2-muffin serving: 258 calories, 8 g protein, 47 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 40 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 260 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 20%.