7 Simple Brunch Ideas
- To drink. 100% orange juice with a splash of sparkling wine and pomegranate juice for the adults. Children can have a mixture of the juices, without the wine.
- Scrambled egg pockets. Tuck scrambled eggs in whole wheat pita pockets. Top with salsa, grated cheddar cheese, sliced avocado, and black beans.
- Pancakes plus. Combine 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt, 1 large egg, and 1 cup pancake mix. Top cooked pancakes with sliced strawberries or other berries, and dust with powdered sugar.
- Salmon "thins." Smoked salmon served on toasted whole grain bagel thins or sandwich thins spread with low-fat herbed cream cheese; serve with sliced tomato and cucumber.
- Chocolate-dipped dried apricots. Melt semisweet chocolate (dark chocolate, if you have a choice) in a double boiler or in the microwave. Dip half of each of the dried apricots in the chocolate. Place on wax paper and allow to set for 30-60 minutes.
- Cherry-banana cooler. Place 1 banana in a blender or food processor, and process on high until smooth. Add 1/2 cup frozen or fresh sweet pitted cherries, 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and sugar to taste, if desired. Process until blended. Serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.
- Quick pasta salad. Cook 2 cups whole wheat pasta. Drain and rinse with cold water. In a large bowl, toss pasta with a mixture of 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Add 12 ounces artichoke hearts, drained; 2 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained; 4 ounces feta cheese; 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese; and 2 large, chopped tomatoes. Combine.