Whether you're preparing snacks for your kids to take to school, or treats to keep them satisfied in the afternoon or evening, Bauer offers these fun, kid-loving healthy snack recipes. WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members -- journal one serving of snacks as 'light dessert.'
Twist and Shout Trail Mix
This is a great project for younger kids (aged 2-6). Not only do they feel proud about preparing their own snack, they also get the chance to practice their math skills
1/2 to 1 cup Multi-Grain Cheerios
1/2 to 1 Cup mini pretzels (preferable oat bran)
1/2 cup of raisins
1/2 to 1 cup Goldfish crackers
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 to 1 cup of peanuts
- Lay out a snack-sized plastic bag for each child.
- Have each child count out 10 Cheerios and place into a bag
- Next, have each child count out 9 pretzels and place into the bag
- Next, have each child count out 8 raisins and place into the bag
- Next, have each child count out 7 raisins and place into the bag
- Next, have each child count out 6 chocolate chips and place into their bag
- Next, have each child count out 5 peanuts and place into their bag
- Tightly close the plastic bags, and have all children stand up and do the twist. The kids will have fun shaking up the contents of their trail mix. (You might even want to play the song Twist and Shout).
1 serving = 10 Cheerios, 9 mini pretzels, 8 raisins, 7 Goldfish, 6 chocolate chips
Per serving: 105 calories, 3 g protein, 14 g carbohydrates, 4.6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 1 g fiber.
Chocolate Pudding Sprinkle Cones
Instead of ice cream, these colorful cones hold creamy pudding that's topped with rainbow sprinkles for a festive touch. They also make a good party treat. They're best made ahead of time and refrigerated for about four hours before serving.
6 ice cream wafer cones, flat bottom, multi-color pack (green, pink, and beige)
1 3.9 ounce package Jell-O brand instant chocolate pudding mix (you can also use the sugar-free variety)
2 cups skim milk, cold
- In a large bowl, prepare chocolate pudding mix according to package directions (adding cold skim milk, whip approximately 5-10 minutes until pudding becomes thick).
- Pour chocolate pudding evenly into six flat-bottom cones.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon multi-colored sprinkles on top of each pudding cone.
- Place in refrigerator for at least one hour. Be sure to set the cones on a stable tray or tight-fitting container to keep them from falling over.