Grilled under a watchful eye to avoid overcooking, these skewers are a snap to prepare. A light lemon-and-herb marinade allows the sweet, succulent flavor of the scallops to shine. Be sure to purchase sea scallops, which are a good size for kebabs.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 1/4 pounds sea scallops, trimmed
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- Step 1
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Place a fine-mesh nonstick grill topper on grill to heat.
- Step 2
- Whisk lemon juice, thyme, oil, lemon zest, pepper and salt in a small bowl.
- Step 3
- Toss scallops with 2 tablespoons of the lemon mixture; reserve the remaining mixture for basting the kebabs. Thread the scallops and the lemon wedges onto four 10-inch-long skewers (see Tip), placing 6 to 7 scallops and 2 lemon wedges on each skewer.
- Step 4
- Lightly oil the grill rack (see Tip). Cook the kebabs, turning from time to time and basting with the reserved lemon mixture, until the scallops are opaque in the center, 8 to 12 minutes. Serve immediately.
If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 20 to 30 minutes first to prevent them from scorching.
To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com