1/2 inch thick slices from a large round loaf of bread
extra virgin olive oil
fresh basil leaves
salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F with the rack in the middle. Arrange the bread on a cookie sheet.
- Press the garlic into a small bowl containing 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Stir the garlic into the oil and smear the mixture evenly onto the top sides of the bread slices with your fingertips.
- Toast the garlic bread until crisp and golden brown, about 20 minutes, turning the pan halfway through the baking. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Pare the ends of the tomatoes and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Place them in a medium bowl and drizzle with the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt. Medium chop the basil and throw into the bowl with the tomatoes. Toss everything around until it’s all oil-coated.
- Arrange the tomato slices artfully atop the bread slices. Scrape the bowl with a spatula and make sure any remaining juice makes it onto the
bruschetta. Serve with wine, some good cheese, or just solo – any time of day.
Inspired by: "With Love & Butter", Holly Bower
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to