This is a nice applesauce to enjoy anytime, but especially with latkes during Hanukkah. You don't need to get your blender dirty; you just need a potato masher and a little elbow grease.
- 3 pounds apples, whichever type you prefer; peeled, cored, and chopped; (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons sugar-substitute
- 1 Juice from lemon, about 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or apple pie spice
- Step 1
- Put chopped apples in a large nonstick saucepan and stir in water, sugar, sugar-substitute, and lemon juice. Bring mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until apples are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Step 2
- Use a potato masher to break cooked apples up into a nice puree.
- Step 3
- Stir in ground cinnamon or apple pie spice. Serve warm or cold.
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.