Whole Grain Recipes continued...
1 can (15.5 oz) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup cashew pieces (or other roasted nuts)
1 cup shredded carrot
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook barley in gently boiling water or broth in covered medium saucepan until tender and water is absorbed (about 45 minutes). Let cool, or rinse with cold water and drain well.
- In large serving bowl, combine cooked barley, garbanzo beans, nuts, carrots, and parsley.
- In small bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper with whisk. Drizzle over barley mixture and toss to coat well. Cover and chill in refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving if time allows.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 3/4 cup starchy foods and legumes with 1 tsp fat maximum OR 1 cup hearty stews, chili or bean soup.
Cream of Chicken & Mushroom Casserole
2/3 cup pearled barley, dry (or use barley groats, increasing the cooking time to about 90 minutes total)
1/2 cup basmati white rice (or long grain rice)
1 package dry onion soup mix (like Lipton's)
4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (about 1.6 pounds), each cut into 2 strips
1 can cream of mushroom soup, condensed (Healthy Request)
3/4 cup fat-free sour cream (or light sour cream)
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups mushroom slices, raw
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted in nonstick pan until golden brown
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley (or 1 teaspoon parsley flakes)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine barley, rice, and onion soup mix in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Place chicken breast strips evenly on top of the mixture.
- In medium bowl, combine condensed cream of mushroom soup, fat-free sour cream, chicken broth, and sliced mushrooms. Spread on top of the chicken and barley mixture. Cover pan with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove foil, sprinkle almonds and parsley over the top and bake 15 minutes more. Serve hot.