I've been told Chicken and Dumplings is Irish comfort food at its best. Here is the "Recipe- Doctored" version … lighter in calories and fat grams, but still comforting.
- 2 cans (10.75 ounces each) reduced-fat cream of chicken soup, condensed
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sliced or chopped celery
- 2 medium coarsely chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 4 whole sliced carrots (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices, then quartered
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat baking mix
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup fat-free half-and-half, or low-fat milk
- Step 1
- In large saucepan, add condensed soup, water, celery, salt if desired, onions, poultry seasoning, pepper, chicken breasts potatoes and carrots. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover pan. Simmer over low heat about 30 minutes.
- Step 2
- Remove chicken from the saucepan, shred it into bite-sized pieces (or break up into pieces in saucepan using a spatula) and return to saucepan and stir in the peas.
- Step 3
- Add baking mix, buttermilk, and fat free half-and-half to medium-sized bowl and blend to make a soft dough. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls into the simmering stew. Cover pan and simmer about 20 minutes. Uncover pan and simmer 10 minutes more. Serve hot!
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.