Think of this as a first-rate chicken soup with mini-meatballs and loads of flavor.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1
- Combine the last 8 ingredients in a bowl and shape meat mixture into 1-inch diameter meatballs.
- Step 2
- In large nonstick pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onion, celery, carrots and garlic until tender, 7 minutes.
- Step 3
- Add both broths and oregano. Add orzo. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cook 5 minutes.
- Step 4
- Add mini meatballs, and continue cooking 8 minutes or until meatballs are done. Add spinach, cooking a few more minutes until wilted. Season to taste.
From www.hollyclegg.com with permission. © 2012 Holly Clegg, Inc.