These coconut-chocolate-almond-topped shortbread cookies are reminiscent of Almond Joy candy bars.
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 3 tablespoons coconut, toasted
- 48 almonds, sliced
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 15-by-10-inch baking sheet with 1-inch sides with cooking spray.
- Step 2
- Beat sugar, butter, oil, egg, milk and almond extract in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder and salt until well blended. (It will be a soft dough.) Spread the dough into the prepared baking pan in a thin layer.
- Step 3
- Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Cut into 48 bars.
- Step 4
- Decorate each bar with a drizzle of melted chocolate, a sprinkle of toasted coconut and an almond slice.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com