This dish has quite a few interesting ingredients. The flavors come together to make a delicious chili.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced or chopped
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds beef round tip pieces, trimmed of visible fat
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in tomato puree
- 1 12-ounce bottle nonalcoholc or light beer
- 2/3 cup strong coffee (decaf or regular)
- 1/3 cup light pancake syrup
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (or add more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, (or add more to taste)
- 2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- Step 1
- Heat canola oil in a large, nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, and beef pieces and sauté for about 10 minutes, or until meat is well browned.
- Step 2
- Stir in the tomatoes, beer, coffee, and pancake syrup. Then stir in the seasonings (chili powder, cumin, cocoa, oregano, cayenne pepper, and coriander). Stir in the beans.
- Step 3
- Cover pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about an hour.
- Step 4
- Top each serving with a sprinkle of reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese and fresh chopped green onion, if desired.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.