Total Time: 35 mins
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or regular whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon light pancake syrup
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- Step 1
- Add flours and salt to medium bowl and blend well with electric mixer (on LOW).
- Step 2
- Add the pancake syrup and canola oil to mixing bowl and beat on low speed until the mixture looks blended and crumbly. Pour in the buttermilk and mix on low speed just until the dough is moist and holds together well (about 15 seconds). Stir in a teaspoon or two more buttermilk if the dough seems a little too dry.
- Step 3
- Using your hands, press dough evenly into your deep-dish pie plate. If the dough is a little thicker around the pie plate rim, you can pinch the dough into scallops or make the rim double thickness and press it with a fork around the circle, as desired.
- Step 4
- Proceed with your recipe for baking. If you need a prebaked piecrust, preheat the oven to 375 degrees, poke the crust several times with a fork, and bake for about 20 minutes.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.