- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 large egg, use a higher omega-3 brand if available
- 1/2 cup egg substitute, or 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 cup water or low-fat milk
- 3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk, available in cans
- 1/2 cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk, 1 tablespoon
- 3 cups light or fat-free whipped topping, light whipping cream can also be used
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, regular or toasted
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with canola cooking spray.
- Step 2
- Add cake mix, egg, egg substitute, sour cream, water, and coconut extract to a large mixing bowl and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Scrape sides of bowl after a minute of mixing. Pour evenly into prepared baking dish and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean.
- Step 3
- In a 4-cup measure, blend sauce ingredients until smooth.
- Step 4
- When cake comes out of the oven, poke large holes evenly over the top with chopsticks or a barbecue fork. Pour milk mixture slowly over the top, so it soaks into the cake. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Step 5
- Just before serving, spread light whipped topping over the top of cake and then sprinkle with the coconut.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.