- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup canned evaporated skim milk
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (orange peel), finely chopped
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup rum (you can substitute orange juice for the rum if you prefer)
- 1 single pie crust
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Step 2
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves on lowest speed. Beat in the pumpkin, vanilla, evaporated milk, orange peel, and egg whites.
- Step 3
- Beat with electric mixer until nice and smooth. Fold in the rum.
- Step 4
- Pour into prepared 9-inch, deep dish, unbaked pie crust and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°F and bake for 45 minutes more or until knife inserted in the filling comes out clean.
- Step 5
- Let cool and refrigerate until served. Serve with a little dollop of light whipping cream if desired.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.