- 1 pound elbow macaroni (use whole-grain blend pasta to boost the fiber)
- 1 1/4 cup frozen petite peas, partially thawed or lightly cooked, shelled edamame (green soybeans)
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions or green onions, white and part of green, thinly sliced diagonally
- 6 ounces lean ham, cut into 1/4-inch dice (optional)
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup fat-free sour cream (or use light sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar (or use rice wine or cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground salt (optional)
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Step 1
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add macaroni and cook until al dente (7-8 minutes). Drain in colander and rinse with cold water. Transfer noodles to a large bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate until completely cool.
- Step 2
- Add peas or edamame, sliced celery, scallions, and ham (if desired) and toss to blend.
- Step 3
- In small bowl or 4-cup measure, whisk together light mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon salt (if desired). Spoon over macaroni mixture and stir to blend. Season with pepper to taste. Cover bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.