WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 25 mins
This recipe combines the flavors of two Middle Eastern favorites—hummus and baba ganouj—in one easy dish. Serve it family-style, letting diners take their own favorite combination of ingredients. Serve with tabbouleh or a green salad tossed with lemon vinaigrette.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small eggplant, (about 12 ounces), cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons tahini, (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 15 ounce can or 19 ounce can chick peas or cannellini beans, rinsed (See Tip)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup briny black olives, halved pitted
- 4 whole wheat pita breads, warmed and cut in half or into wedges
- Step 1
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggplant, garlic and 1/8 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is soft and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Step 2
- Meanwhile, whisk tahini, lemon juice, water and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Stir in chickpeas (or beans), parsley and the eggplant.
- Step 3
- Arrange the chickpea-eggplant salad, tomatoes, onion, feta, olives (if using) and pitas on a platter. Serve at room temperature or chilled and sprinkled with more parsley, if desired.
To Make Ahead: Cover and refrigerate the chickpea salad (Steps 1-2) for up to 4 hours.
- Note: Tahini is a thick paste of ground sesame seeds. Look for it in large supermarkets in the Middle Eastern section or near other nut butters.
- Tip: While we love the convenience of canned beans, they tend to be high in sodium. Give them a good rinse before adding to a recipe to rid them of some of their sodium (up to 35 percent) or opt for low-sodium or no-salt-added varieties. (Our recipes are analyzed with rinsed, regular canned beans.) Or, if you have the time, cook your own beans from scratch.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com