Pepperoni Chicken continued...
pan-roasted cabbage (see recipe, below)
pepperoni sauce (see recipe, below)
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients to create the marinade.
2. Fully coat the chicken breasts with marinade and place in a large plastic bag or glass baking dish.
3. Refrigerate for at least 2 1/2 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
5. Remove chicken from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature for about 10 minutes.
6. Heat canola oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, sear chicken, skin side down, approximately 6 minutes until golden brown.
7. Flip each chicken breast over, place in a baking pan, and continue cooking for 30 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer reaches 165 F.
8. Remove chicken from oven and let rest 5 minutes. Serve with roasted cabbage.
To serve: Mike Isabella recommends serving family-style: Arrange cabbage in a mound at the center of a platter. Place chicken breasts around the cabbage. Transfer pepperoni sauce to a gravy boat and serve on the side.
Makes 12 servings, each 2 Tbsp
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup yellow onion, diced small
1 thinly sliced garlic clove
6 ounces thinly sliced pepperoni
1/2 tsp fennel seeds, toasted and ground
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sweat approximately 4 to 5 minutes until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally. If garlic begins to brown, lower heat slightly.
2. Add pepperoni and cook 4 minutes.
3. Add fennel seeds and red chili flakes to onion-garlic-pepperoni mix and cook 1 minute.
4. Stir in tomatoes and cook 3 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a slight boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 50 minutes.