This is a festive-looking appetizer with the green and red vegetables used. They work well as a finger food, too.
- 1/2 slices zucchini, 1/8-inch thick
- 1/2 whole red bell pepper, core and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 large green onion, or 2 small; white and part green, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar or Jarlsberg light, Gruyere can also be used
- canola oil cooking spray
- Step 1
- Spray 12 muffin cups with canola cooking spray (or line with foil cupcake papers). Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Step 2
- Add a zucchini slice to the bottom of each prepared muffin cup. Top zucchini slices with the bell pepper and green onion (distribute evenly between the 12 muffin cups).
- Step 3
- In mixing bowl, beat eggs, egg substitute, salt, pepper, and oregano on medium-low speed until completely blended (a couple of minutes). Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the egg mixture into each of the muffin cups. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of the cups.
- Step 4
- Bake until frittatas are set, about 10-12 minutes. Serve warm and use a small rubber scraper to remove the frittatas from the pan (unless you used foil cupcake liners).
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.