dried wakame (edible seaweed)
fresh clams, scrubbed clean
low sodium dashi or fish stock
white miso paste
scallions, white and light green parts sliced thin
- Set the dried wakame in a bowl and pour enough filtered cold water over the seaweed to cover it by about a half inch. Allow the wakame to sit in the cold water for about ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil or steam the fresh clams until they open. As they open, move them to serving bowls. Discard any clams that do not open.
- After the wakame has soaked for ten minutes, rinse and drain it.
- Heat the dashi or fish stock until barely simmering and add the wakame. Slowly simmer the wakame in the broth for about two to three minutes.
- Remove the wakame and broth from the heat, allowing it to cool for about five minutes before whisking one-quarter cup white miso paste into the broth until it’s fully and completely dissolved.
- Pour the broth over the clams, garnishing with thinly sliced scallions.
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to