Oak leaf and baby romaine lettuces are so tender they’re best eaten straight from the garden or at least within a day or two of picking. Mild and delicate, they pair wonderfully with peppery radishes and chopped hard-boiled eggs in this easy salad.
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 small garlic clove
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups Red Oak or other red leaf lettuce
- 2 cups Freckles or other baby romaine
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- Step 1
- To prepare vinaigrette: Puree cucumber, oil, vinegar, chives, parsley, yogurt, mustard, horseradish, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a blender until smooth.
- Step 2
- To prepare salad: Season a wooden salad bowl by rubbing with garlic and pinch of salt. Chop the garlic and add to the bowl along with all the lettuce. Pour 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette over the greens; toss to coat. (Cover and refrigerate the remaining 1 cup vinaigrette for up to 3 days.) Serve the salad garnished with radishes, scallions and hard-boiled egg.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com