Americans Get Diet Road Map to Health
New U.S. Diet Guidelines Based on Common Sense, Science
New Diet Guidelines: A Recipe for Weight Loss and Health continued...
7. Carbs aren't all bad. You should:
- Choose fiber-rich fruits and vegetables and whole grains.
- Choose foods with as little added sugars or sweeteners as possible.
- Avoid sugary and starchy foods and beverages.
8. Avoid salt, increase potassium:
- Get less than 1 teaspoon of salt a day. Note: Most of the salt we eat comes
from processed foods.
- Eat lots of potassium-rich fruits and vegetables, such as bananas, prunes,
raisins, or potatoes with skins.