Frozen Pepperoni Pizzas Recalled
Nearly 5 Million Totino's and Jeno's Pepperoni Frozen Pizzas Recalled Because of Possible E. coli Contamination
WebMD News Archive
Nov.1, 2007 -- Check your refrigerator for the following Totino's and Jeno's
frozen pizzas, which General Mills has recalled because of possible E.
coli contamination in the pepperoni:
- Totino's Party Supreme (SKU number 42800-10700)
- Totino's Three Meat (SKU number 42800-10800)
- Totino's Pepperoni (SKU numbers 42800-11400 and 42800-92114)
- Totino's Classic Pepperoni (SKU number 42800-11402)
- Totino's Pepperoni Trio (SKU number 42800-72157)
- Totino's Party Combo (SKU number 42800-11600)
- Totino's Combo (SKU number 42800-92116)
- Jeno's Crisp 'n Tasty Supreme (SKU number 35300-00561)
- Jeno's Crisp 'n Tasty Pepperoni (SKU number 35300-00572)
- Jeno's Crisp 'n Tasty Combo (SKU number 35300-00576)
E. coli Illnesses
Federal and state authorities are investigating 21 cases of E.
coli-related illnesses in 10 states. About half of those patients were
Nine of the 21 patients reported having eaten Totino's or Jeno's pizza with
pepperoni topping "at some point prior to becoming ill," states General
The cases were reported to state health officials between July 20 and Oct.
10, according to General Mills.
E. coli bacteria can cause
diarrhea (which may be bloody) and abdominal cramps. Most people recover
within a week without treatment, but severe cases can occur and are more common
in babies, elders, and people with weak immune systems.
The recall includes about 5 million pizza products that are in stores,
as well as any that are in consumers' freezers, states General Mills, which
makes both brands.
The recalled pizzas were produced in General Mills' Wellson, Ohio plant and
Totino's and Jeno's are working with health authorities to investigate the
potential E. coli contamination.
Do you have any of the recalled pizzas in your freezer? Don't eat
Contact Totino's and Jeno's for product replacement by clipping the bar code
symbol from each pizza box and sending it, along with your name and address,
Totino's / Jeno's
P.O. Box 200 -- Pizza
Minneapolis, MN 55440-0200
For more information, call General Mills at (800) 949-9055.