Kellogg's Cereal Recall Due to Odd Smell
Substance in Package Liners Produces Wax-Like Taste and Smell
WebMD News Archive
June 25, 2010 -- The Kellogg Co. has issued a voluntary recall of 28 million boxes of some of its most popular cereals because of an "uncharacteristic off-flavor and smell" coming from packaging.
The recall includes Froot Loops, Apple Jacks, Corn Pops, and Honey Smacks that have been sold around the country, the company says.
Kellogg, based in Battle Creek, Mich., says it issued the recall in consultation with the FDA.
"We have identified a substance in the package liners that can produce an uncharacteristic waxy-like off taste and smell," spokeswoman J. Adaire Putnam tells WebMD in an email. "Consumers report a variety of tastes and smells, including those that are stale, metal, and soap-like."
Kellogg says on its web site that "while the potential for serious health problems is low, some consumers are sensitive" to the odd odors and "should not eat the recalled products because of possible temporary symptoms, including nausea and diarrhea."
David Mackay, president and chief executive officer of the company, says in a short statement that efforts are being made to have the products removed from store shelves.
"We apologize to our consumers and our customers and are working diligently to ensure that the affected products are rapidly removed from the marketplace," Mackay says.
The company says only products with the letters "KN" following the words "better if used before date" are included in the recall.
It says consumers who have questions or want a replacement for any cereal bought can call Kellogg at 888-801-4163.
List of Recalled Cereals
Here's a list of recalled cereals with their UPC numbers, according to Kellogg's web site:
Kellogg's Apple Jacks
- UPC 3800039136 1: 17 ounce package with Better if Used Before Dates between APR 10 2011 and JUN 22 2011
- UPC 3800039132 3: 8.7 ounce packages with Better if Used Before Dates between JUN 03 2011 and JUN 22 2011
Kellogg's Corn Pops
- UPC 3800039109 5: 12.5 ounce packages with Better if Used Before Dates between MAR 26 2011 and JUN 22 2011
- UPC 3800039111 8: 17.2 ounce packages with Better if Used Before Dates between MAR 26 2011 and JUN 22 2011
- UPC 3800039116 3: 9.2 ounce packages with Better if Used Before Dates between APR 05 2011 and JUN 22 2011