Cabbage is the better half of the famous Irish duo, 'Corned Beef and Cabbage'. This is a flavorful recipe for just the cabbage that you can make easily in a large, nonstick frying pan.
- 3 slices turkey bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 head of cabbage cut into 4 wedges
- 1 cup low-sodium beef or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar or sugar-substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- pepper, to taste
- Step 1
- Add turkey bacon strips to a large nonstick frying pan and cook over medium heat until crisp. Remove strips to a paper towel to cool. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Step 2
- Add the onions to the pan with any turkey bacon drippings (there won't be much), and cook over medium heat until lightly browned (four minutes).
- Step 3
- Add cabbage, broth, and sugar to the frying pan with onions. Cover pan and cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover and cook until cabbage wilts and broth is almost evaporated (about five minutes more), stirring occasionally.
- Step 4
- Stir in turkey bacon pieces and vinegar. Serve immediately.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.