In this recipe we shred summer squash and use it like shredded potatoes to make tasty little pancakes flavored with Parmesan cheese and shallots.
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded seeded summer squash, (2-3 medium, about 1 pound; see Tip)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Step 2
- Beat egg in a large bowl. Stir in shallots, parsley, salt and pepper. Place shredded squash in the center of a clean kitchen towel; gather up the ends and twist to squeeze out any liquid. Add the squash and cheese to the bowl; stir to combine.
- Step 3
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pack a 1/3-cup measuring cup with the squash mixture and unmold it into the pan; gently pat it down to form a 3-inch cake. Repeat, making 4 squash cakes. Cook until browned and crispy on the bottom, 3 to 4 minutes. Gently turn the cakes over and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tip: To remove the seeds from summer squash, cut the squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. To shred the squash, use the large-holed side of a box grater.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com