Feel free to add or substitute ingredients to incorporate the items you find this weekend at your farmer’s market.
- 8 cups whole wheat blend pasta, cooked, drained (rotini or penne)
- 1/2 cup pesto, (fresh or frozen pesto from the supermarket)
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup bell pepper, finely diced (use yellow, red, or orange for a color contrast)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts* (toasted), optional
- 3 cups in-season veggies, (zucchini or carrot slices, broccoli or cauliflower florets, green beans, or whatever veggie looks good) lightly cooked and cooled
- Step 1
- Add pasta to large serving bowl along with the pesto, diced tomato, bell pepper, and in-season vegetables. Toss to blend well.
- Step 2
- Sprinkle the toasted pine nuts over the top if desired and serve. If not serving immediately, cover well and keep refrigerated until needed.
*To toast pine nuts, just add to small nonstick frying pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until they are lightly brown.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.