I love this recipe because it is simple to make but the results are delicious.
- 1 16-ounce package whole-wheat blend penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon minced or chopped garlic
- 1 28-ounce can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional
- 3/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 cup fat-free half and half
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- Step 1
- Start a large pot of lightly salted water boiling. Add the pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain the noodles in a colander.
- Step 2
- Meanwhile, start heating the olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until tender (about 2-3 minutes). Stir in the canned tomatoes (breaking up the tomatoes with a fork if using canned whole tomatoes). Stir in the crushed red pepper (if desired), basil, salt and pepper, bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to simmer and let cook for 8-10 minutes more.
- Step 3
- Stir in the vodka and simmer 10 minutes more. Stir the fat-free half-and-half and milk into the tomato mixture and let the mixture simmer another 8-10 minutes. Toss the sauce with the hot penne pasta and sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.