- 3 1-inch thick filet mignon steaks (beef tenderloin steaks), about 1 1/4 pounds total
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided use
- 1 large sweet onion (or 2 small ones), cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms, like crimini, portabello, or white button
- 1/2 cup water, or low-sodium beef broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons white (or creamed) horseradish
- 4 French, sourdough, or submarine rolls (part whole-wheat, if available)
- salt and pepper
- Step 1
- Add a teaspoon of canola oil to a medium nonstick frying pan or skillet, and let it get nice and hot over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, salt and pepper both sides of each steak (heavier on the pepper than the salt). Add steaks to the pan, and cook to desired doneness (about 5-6 minutes per side for medium-well). Use a fork to remove steaks to a plate (keep the steak juices in the pan for use later).
- Step 2
- Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to a large, nonstick skillet and sauté the onion slices over medium-high heat until golden (about 5 minutes). Add the mushroom slices, 1/2 cup broth or water, and all the juices from the steak pan. Continue to cook the onions and mushrooms, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Step 3
- Put light mayonnaise and horseradish in a custard cup and stir to blend well.
- Step 4
- Place the bottoms of your sandwich rolls on a serving plate. Spread horseradish sauce on top of each. Top each with steak slices and the onion/mushroom mixture, then place tops on the sandwiches.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.