extra virgin olive oil
zucchini, sliced in long pieces, 1/4 inch thick
halved artichoke hearts
prepared basil pesto
vine ripe tomatoes, sliced thick
fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
sea salt, to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
fresh or dried Italian herbs (basil, oregano, marjoram), to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly oil a gratin dish or large pie plate.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl and using a fork, toss with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to coat; season with Italian seasoning.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the zucchini, garlic, and artichokes, and saute' briskly just until the zucchini is a bit golden and still tender-crisp. Remove from heat and pour the veggies into a bowl to cool slightly. When cooled, gently toss the zucchini mixture with the prepared basil pesto, to coat.
- Layer the pesto veggies in the gratin dish or pie plate. Spread a scant third of the crumbs on the squash mixture. Layer slices of mozzarella in the gratin dish and top with sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle the tomatoes lightly with balsamic vinegar. Season the mixture with sea salt and pepper. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs over the tomatoes.
- Bake the gratin until it is bubbly and hot, about 20-25 minutes. Serve on a bed of hot, brown-rice penne tossed with basil pesto.
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to