frozen puff pastry sheet, from a 17 1/4-oz. package, thawed
onion, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch thick slices
chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
Kalamata olives, pitted and very thinly sliced lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll out puff pastry on a lightly floured surface into a 12 1/2-inch square, then trim the edges to form a 12-inch square. Prick sheet all over with a fork. Cut into 36 (2-inch) squares and transfer to 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching position of pans halfway through baking, until puffed and golden, 12 to 15 minutes total. Transfer to racks to cool until just warm.
- While pastry is baking, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet until hot but not smoking, then cook the onion with salt and pepper stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Stir in the thyme half way through cooking time.
- Lightly brush tops of pastry squares with remaining tablespoon olive oil. Make a small indentation in center of each square with your finger, then top each with 1 teaspoon onion mixture and a few olive slivers. Sprinkle squares with fresh thyme.
- (Pastry squares can be baked 1 day ahead, cooled completely, and kept in an airtight container at room temperature. Reheat in a 350-degree F oven 6 minutes before topping. Onion mixtures can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat over moderate heat, stirring, until heated through, about 10 minutes.)
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to