3 1/2 pounds
beets, peeled and cut into 1/8- to 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 11 cups)
distilled white vinegar, or cider vinegar
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons
- Place a large bowl of ice water next to the stove. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add about a third of the beet slices, cover, return to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the beets to the ice water to cool. Repeat with the two remaining batches of beets.
- Drain the cooled beets and divide among 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids. Add 1/2 teaspoon of pickling spice to each jar.
- Combine vinegar, 3 cups water, salt and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully fill jars (or containers) with the brine to within 1/2 inch of the rim, covering the beets completely. (Discard any leftover brine.)
- Place the lids on the jars (or containers). Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to