This bread is heavenly fresh from the oven, so bake it right before you plan to serve it.
Note: To assure Kosher status prepare recipe to meet Kosher guidelines.
- 1/2 cup warm water (100°-110°)
- 1 egg yolk (reserve the white)
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- Step 1
- Add ingredients to bread machine pan in order recommended by manufacturer.
- Step 2
- Set bread machine to DOUGH cycle (1 hour, 40 minutes) and press START. After 5 minutes, if the dough appears too stiff, add a tablespoon of low-fat milk or water.
- Step 3
- When dough is ready, divide into three equal sections and roll each into a rope about 18 inches long. Line the ropes up, side by side, on a nonstick jellyroll pan coated with canola cooking spray. Squeeze the three rope ends together at one end. Braid the ropes, then squeeze the other ends together, too.
- Step 4
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Set pan near the oven while it is preheating to help the bread rise (cover the bread with a kitchen towel if desired). While waiting, whisk the egg white with 2 teaspoons water.
- Step 5
- When bread is doubled in size (about 1 hour), gently brush the egg white on top of the bread and bake until golden brown (40-50 minutes). Let cool about 5 minutes before slicing with serrated knife.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.