The mashed potato adds creaminess to this lower-fat soup.
- 3 cups mashed potatoes, made with low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half, or low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons fat-free or light sour cream
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste (optional)
- Step 1
- Prepare mashed potatoes using milk only (no added butter). Add the pumpkin and fat-free half-and-half (or low-fat milk) to a medium saucepan; whisk to blend well.
- Step 2
- Add cheese, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon and stir to combine. Cover pan and simmer over low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add pepper and salt, if desired.
- Step 3
- Spoon into five serving bowls, then swirl a tablespoon of fat-free or light sour cream in each bowl of soup.
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.