WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 45 mins
This quickly pickled, spicy Italian salad of mixed sliced vegetables is great for an antipasto platter, served with grilled meat or chopped up and put on a sandwich.
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 small head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into bite-size florets
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Step 1
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, bay leaf and 1/2 teaspoon each crushed red pepper and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Step 2
- Add cauliflower, celery, carrot and bell pepper. Reduce the heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the cooking liquid, then drain.
- Step 3
- Transfer the vegetables to a medium bowl. Stir in oil, pepper, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each crushed red pepper and salt and the reserved cooking liquid. Refrigerate for at least 25 minutes to chill. Stir and serve with a slotted spoon.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com