Your family might be more inclined to like brown rice if it is in a mixed dish like this one.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped white or yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 can low-sodium Mexican style tomatoes (4 1/2 ounces)
- 1 finely chopped bell pepper (any color)
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- Step 1
- Heat canola oil in a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat and sauté the rice just until golden (about 5 minutes).
- Step 2
- Add 1/2 cup if moisture is needed. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Step 3
- Stir in tomatoes (including juice), the rest of the broth, and bell pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until the broth is absorbed. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired, and serve.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.