WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 40 Minutes
For these easy pickled beets, you only need to let them marinate in the pickling mixture for about 30 minutes to get great flavor. Marinating them longer just enhances the taste. Try them in place of cucumber pickles as a condiment or as a vegetable side dish for roasted chicken or beef.
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 cups sliced beets, steamed, 1/2-1 inch thick
- Step 1
- Combine onion, vinegar, sugar, cinnamon stick, peppercorns and cloves in a large saucepan.
- Step 2
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the onion is tender-crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in beets.
- Step 3
- Transfer to a large bowl and let marinate, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com