quinoa, cooked in two cups water
extra virgin olive oil
juice from 2 limes
cilantro or parsley, fresh chopped
1 half small
red or purple onion, diced fine
yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, diced fine
corn kernels, roasted (I used frozen, roasted on a cookie sheet for 6-7 minutes, then cooled)
1 large head
of crisp romaine lettuce, washed, dried, sliced crosswise
avocado, pitted, peeled, diced
gluten-free tortilla chips
- Cook the quinoa per package instructions. Fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork. Scoop the quinoa into a bowl.
- Drizzle the cooked quinoa with extra virgin olive oil and toss to coat. Squeeze on fresh lime juice and toss again. Season the mixture with sea salt, to taste.
- Add in the fresh chopped cilantro, diced red onion, diced yellow pepper, and roasted corn kernels. Stir lightly to distribute. Taste test for seasoning adjustments.
- Line four salad bowls or plates with the fresh romaine. Spoon the quinoa salad on the center of the lettuce. Add the diced avocado to each plate. Tuck in a few tortilla chips around the edges.
- Serve with an extra lime wedge.
Add a cup of chilled, drained black beans, if you like your taco salad super hearty.
Add sliced red or yellow cherry or grape tomatoes, if you desire.
Sprinkle with the cheese of your choice.
Serve with your favorite salsa on the side.
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to