WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 1 hr, 30 mins
This quinoa veggie burger recipe is a meat-lover's burger: toasted pecans, mushrooms, Cheddar cheese, fresh herbs and red quinoa pack this vegetarian burger full of delicious flavor. Red quinoa, which you can generally find in stores where white quinoa is sold, gives the quinoa veggie burgers the perfect color. If you can only find white quinoa, that's fine too. These quinoa veggie burger patties hold together well for freezing, making for a quick and easy meal. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator before cooking. Serve with your favorite burger garnishes. (Adapted from "Quinoa Revolution" by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming; Pintail Books, 2012.)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup red quinoa
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups finely chopped cremini
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup whole pecans
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 8 small whole-wheat burger buns
- Step 1
- Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Step 2
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Step 3
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, marjoram and oregano; cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Step 4
- Beat egg in a medium bowl. Add the quinoa, mushroom mixture, cheese, pecans, oats and soy sauce; stir to combine. Scoop scant 1/2-cup portions of the mixture onto the baking sheet and shape into 8 patties, about 3 inches wide, leaving about 1 inch of space between each patty. (The mixture will be crumbly; patting it into burgers on the baking sheet makes it easier to work with. The burgers hold together very well once baked.)
- Step 5
- Bake the burgers until crispy, 28 to 30 minutes. Serve on buns with your favorite garnishes.
For the best flavor, toast nuts before adding to recipes. Spread whole nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. For chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com