All-American Recipe Makeovers
Here are my lightened-up versions of potato salad, potato chips, cornbread, and an apple dish (Waldorf salad).
All-American Light Potato Salad
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1/2 cup starchy foods and legumes with 1 tsp fat maximum OR 1 cup cream-based soup
The great thing about this recipe is you don't have to boil the potatoes!
4 russet potatoes with skin (large pink or white potatoes can be substituted)
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
1 tablespoon honey mustard (add 1 more tablespoon, if desired)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 cup diced or chopped celery
1/3 cup diced or chopped red bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley (regular or Italian)
1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Wash the outside of potatoes well, then cut into 1-inch cubes. Add potato pieces to a large, microwave-safe vegetable-cooker container. Cover and cook on HIGH for about 6 minutes. Stir potatoes, cover cooker, and cook on HIGH until potatoes are just tender (about 4-6 minutes more).
- While potatoes are cooling, add mayonnaise, sour cream, honey mustard, pepper and salt (if desired) to large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Stir in cooled potatoes, celery, bell pepper, green onions, and parsley. Cover and chill until ready to serve (at least an hour). Sprinkle a dash or two of paprika over the top before serving, if desired.
Yield: About 6 cups of salad (eight 3/4-cup servings)
Baked Seasoned Potato Chips
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1/2 cup "starchy foods and legumes with 1 tsp fat"
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 large russet potato (or 2 medium size), about 10 ounces
Canola cooking spray
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Brush canola oil over the bottom of a nonstick jellyroll pan.
- Using a large, sharp, non-serrated knife, cut the potato into very thin slices (about 1/16 inch thick).
- Immediately lay the potato slices flat onto the prepared pan (they should completely cover the bottom of the pan). Spray the tops with canola cooking spray and sprinkle with the seasoned salt.
- Bake for about 22-25 minutes, watching carefully. Remove the chips that have browned and crisped and continue to cook the remaining chips until they become nice and crisp, too -- about 5 minutes more.