butternut squash, peeled and diced
fresh or frozen cranberries, halved or chopped as you prefer
red onion, diced fine
chopped fresh parsley
cumin, ginger or curry, to taste
sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Cook the red quinoa in a rice cooker, using a 1:2 ratio of 1 cup red quinoa to 2 cups water. As mentioned above, if you like it softer, add additional 1/4 cup water.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium roasting pan add: squash, cranberries, red onion and garlic. Drizzlewith a little olive oil, to coat. Add a teaspoon or two of pure maple syrup- not too much. Sprinkle with sea salt. Toss everything together. Roast in the top half of the oven until the squash is tender- about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the pan and set aside.
- Add Pecans in a dry skillet and heat the skillet and lightly toast the pecans briefly, till fragrant.
- Combine the cooked quinoa and the butternut mixture. Add spices, herbs and pecans.
- Drizzle the quinoa mixture with some fruity extra virgin olive oil and toss to coat. Taste test and adjust seasonings. Heat through gently. Serve.
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to