This simple classic marinade is perfect paired with dark or gamy meats. You can vary the flavor depending on what kind of red wine you choose. For a greater intensity, try using a full-bodied red, such as Shiraz or Zinfandel. For a more delicate flavor, use a lighter red, such as Pinot Noir or Burgundy. Use on: Chicken thighs, duck, beef, lamb (see Tip)
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 3-inch strips orange zest, (see Tip)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Step 1
- Combine wine, onion, orange zest, rosemary, jelly, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour the marinade into a shallow baking dish or 1-gallon sealable plastic bag for marinating 1 to 2 pounds (4 to 8 servings) of your chosen protein.
Tip: Use a vegetable peeler to easily remove strips of the outer orange skin (zest), leaving the bitter white pith behind.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com