WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 40 mins
Roasted apples and Cheddar cheese turn an ordinary mixed green salad into something extra-special. You can use pears for this recipe as well.
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 apples, preferably Fuji, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach, or torn spinach leaves
- 3 cups Boston lettuce, torn
- 3 cups curly endive, torn
- 2/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Step 2
- To prepare dressing: Whisk vinegar, apple juice, 1 tablespoon oil, honey, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Step 3
- To roast apples & prepare salad: Toss apples with 2 teaspoons oil and thyme in a medium bowl; spread evenly on a baking sheet. Roast, turning once or twice, until the apples are soft and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Discard fresh thyme, if using. Let cool.
- Step 4
- While the apples are roasting, toast walnuts in a small baking pan until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Step 5
- Just before serving, combine spinach, lettuce and endive in a large bowl; toss gently to mix. Divide the greens among 6 plates, drizzle with dressing and top with cheese, roasted apples and walnuts. Serve immediately.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com