milk, recommended, but optional
ghee or 8 oz butter and 6 oz ghee
shallots, finely chopped
fresh sage leaves, to garnish
- Rinse chicken livers gently, drain them and set them in a bowl.
- Pour 1 quart fresh milk over the chicken livers and allow them to marinate in the milk for at least 4 hours and preferably overnight.
- Drain the chicken livers and rinse them again.
- Heat 4 oz ghee in a skillet until melted.
- Add the sliced shallots and brown.
- Add the chicken livers to the onions and ghee. Note that they will release a significant amount of liquid.
- Simmer chicken livers until browned through and until the liquid has largely cooked away.
- Note that at this point many of the chicken livers will be falling apart on their own – a very good thing.
- Add the rubbed sage and deglaze the pan with sherry.
- Continue to cook until sherry is largely cooked away.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- Add mixture and 8 oz of softened butter or ghee to your food processor and process until smooth.
- Melt remaining 2 oz of ghee until liquid.
- Spoon pâté into individual ramekins or dishes, garnish with fresh sage leaves and pour melted ghee gently over the pâté.
- Allow the sage and chicken liver pâté to set in the fridge for a few hours or overnight, but bring to room temperature prior to serving.
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to