- 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 8 ounces low-fat Colby Jack or cheddar cheese, shredded
- fresh ground black pepper
- Step 1
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Step 2
- Meanwhile, dice tomato, green bell pepper, and onion.
- Step 3
- Drain cooked macaroni and add with tomato and green bell pepper. Reserve.
- Step 4
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Step 5
- In a medium saucepan, sauté diced onion in butter until translucent.
- Step 6
- Stir in flour and black pepper.
- Step 7
- Add milk. Cook until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Step 8
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Step 9
- Add macaroni/vegetable mixture to cheese sauce and coat evenly.
- Step 10
- Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.