raw brown rice, long or short grain
extra virgin olive oil
sweet or red onion, diced
sweet bell pepper (red, yellow, or orange), chopped
fresh yellow tomato, chopped
corn kernels, roasted or frozen
green chilies of choice, roasted or frozen, seeded and chopped
1 touch of
cinnamon, my secret ingredient
fresh cilantro or Italian parsley, chopped
1 splash more
extra virgin olive oil, to moisten the rice
1 14-ounce can
Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Green Chiles, with juice
sea salt, to taste
- Cook 2 cups raw brown rice, long or short grained, in 5 cups fresh water.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Add the garlic, chopped onion, sweet bell pepper, and cook for five minutes.
- Add the fresh yellow tomato, roasted or frozen corn kernels, roasted or fresh green chiles, and lime juice, to taste. Stir-fry very briefly, just until crisp-tender (you want to soften, not cook, the veggies).
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- When the rice is cooked, assemble your casserole.
- Spoon the cooked brown rice into a casserole dish. Add in and stir dashes (to taste) of sea salt, chili powder, cumin, touch of cinnamon, and chopped fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Add a splash of extra virgin olive oil to moisten the rice. Stir.
- Add the fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilies and the skillet vegetables. Add fresh chopped herbs, to taste. Toss to combine.
- Cover and bake for 25 to 35 minutes until the rice is piping hot and heated through.
Note: To roast frozen corn, spread kernels on a baking sheet and roast at a high temperature until slightly charred; or pan roast them in a large dry skillet until sweet and toasty.
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to