Thai flavors of coconut and basil come together in this fresh and spicy chicken and cabbage stir-fry. If your family prefers a milder meal, forgo the jalapeño. Serve with: Rice noodles and mango slices.
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced, optional
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, whites and greens, separated
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup “lite” coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 6 cups sliced napa cabbage
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Step 1
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until cooked through and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Step 2
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the wok or pot. Add jalapeño (if using), scallion whites, mushrooms and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant and the mushrooms start to soften, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Step 3
- Stir in coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cabbage, the chicken and scallion greens; cook, stirring constantly, until the cabbage is slightly wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in basil just before serving.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com