EatingWell reader Sidra Goldman of Washington, D.C., contributed this fresh-tasting whole-wheat pasta recipe. Lemon zest accents the basil beautifully.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced; 1 1/2 cups
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine, or spaghetti
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated; 1 ounce
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped fresh, divided
- pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- Step 1
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil for cooking pasta.
- Step 2
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Step 3
- Meanwhile, cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 9 to 11 minutes or according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- Step 4
- Add the pasta, the reserved cooking liquid, Parmesan and 1/4 cup basil to the mushrooms in the skillet; toss to coat well. Serve immediately, garnished with remaining basil.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com