WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 55 mins
Red beets and golden carrots look especially festive in these zesty horseradish-and-bacon-flecked cakes. Avoid parsnips, which need to be cored, in this recipe, as trying to shred the smaller cored pieces might result in nicked knuckles. Try the pancakes with seared steaks or make them bite-size for a beautiful appetizer.
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups assorted root vegetables, peeled and shredded (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled, optional
- 6 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- reduced-fat sour cream, for garnish
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Step 2
- Whisk egg, flour, scallions, dill, horseradish, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in vegetables and bacon (if using).
- Step 3
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook 4 pancakes per batch: place about 1/4 cup vegetable mixture in a little of the oil and press with the back of a spatula to flatten into a 2- to 3-inch pancake. Cook until crispy and golden, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the pancakes to the prepared baking sheet. Continue with 2 more batches, using the remaining 4 teaspoons oil and vegetable mixture. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Serve garnished with sour cream, if desired.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com